Oak Hill Baptist Church was established 1875. The congregation was meeting in a building that was also the local school, near the present location of the church. In 1898, a local physician named Dr. Baker donated land for a cemetery and a new church to be built, which was finished in 1902. In comparison to other churches in Bartow County, minor changes have been made to the building over the years. In the 1980s, cosmopolitan changes were made to the church, including renovations of the bathroom and foyer, a new air conditioning system, and the addition of a church steeple. Additional land was purchased for the church cemetery in 1983. It is a rather larger cemetery. The Leak Family Cemetery graves were relocated to this cemetery sometime in the late 20th century to make way for urban development around Cartersville. Oak Hill Baptist Church is located on Hwy 140, Rydal, GA 30171, which can be viewed on this Bartow Baptist Churches map: https://goo.gl/maps/9uTux1G4ZvQ2. More information about Oak Hill Baptist Church is available at www.facebook.com/pages/Oak-Hill-Baptist-Church/167600179999116.
Bartow County Cemeteries. Vol. 2. IV vols. Cartersville, GA. Available at the Etowah Valley Historical Society.
McEver, Louise. “Oak Hill Baptist Church.” Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book. Vol. 2. Cartersville: Bartow County Genealogical Society, 1998. 48.
Written and researched by Amy Young, Kennesaw State University Intern, Fall 2018.