Bartow County Places
Cass County was created from a portion of Cherokee County by an Act of the Georgia Legislature on December 3, 1832, and was first called “Cass” County in honor of General Lewis Cass of Michigan. Later, the views of General Cass on the issue of slavery caused a change of feeling, and on December 6, 1861, the name of the county was changed to “Bartow” in honor or the “illustrious hero of Manassas,” Colonel Francis S. Bartow.
Hernando DeSoto’s explorations in 1540 found this area of North Georgia already rich in Indian culture and outstanding natural resources. The Etowah River Valley, under cultivation by prehistoric Native Americans, then later pioneer settlers, played an important role in the Civil War when “Cotton was King.”
Sherman’s army passed through Bartow County on it’s way to Atlanta and occupied the County for several months. Events that occurred here were the destruction of the town of Etowah, the bloody battle at Allatoona Pass, and the burning of Cassville. Bartow suffered major destruction but many of the churches, schools and home survived. Although many of those that survived the war have since been destroyed, some churches, homes and at least one school are still standing today.
After the war, southern mansions as well as log cabins were restored and continue to stand today as a reminder of the heritage and human sacrifice of early historic preservation. The determination of Bartow County families to rebuild and preserve is also visible in the beautiful gables Victorian homes of the Post-Reconstruction period. Also intermingling in the county are sprawling country houses with wrap around porches and bungalow style homes so popular prior to World War II. Mining, natural resources and agriculture brought many families to the area – a sense of community and progressiveness keeps them here.
Early communities emerged as the result of major factors including transportation routes and industry. However, most were anchored around one or more of the following reasons: railroad crossings, depots, post offices, churches/schools, flag or wood and water stops and industry.