Gum Springs is a north Bartow County agricultural community named for its abundance of Sweetgum trees and the natural spring there. From 1879 to 1905, a post office existed in the home of Thomas J. Hendricks. The community section of the August 3, 1905 edition of The Cartersville News states “We have a thriving little village of one store and two dwelling houses”. Gum Springs is in the area of Springplace Road and GA Highway 140.
Source: Verbal recollections of Frances Linn, granddaughter of Thomas J. Hendricks.Return to Bartow History >