Folsom is a small agricultural community partly situated in Cedar Creek Valley, located about seven miles east of Adairsville, off current day GA Highway 140. Folsom, established in 1886, was named after Frances Folsom Cleveland, the wife of President Grover Cleveland. It was during Cleveland’s administration that a mail route was established to Folsom. When established, the community grew quickly to include three stores, two physicians, two blacksmith shops, two flour mills, three corn mills, a wool-carder, sawmill and a Baptist church. The post office at Folsom served the community from 1886 until 1917. Commerce today is non existent and only period houses remain to attest to this once thriving community.
Source: United States and Worldwide Postal History by Jim Forte; Folsom, Georgia, Bartow County, 1896-1897 by Alice B. Howard.
Source: United States and Worldwide Postal History by Jim Forte; Folsom, Georgia, Bartow County, 1896-1897 by Alice B. Howard.[maxbutton id=”10″]