A little hamlet grew up where the railroad underpass is now on GA Highway 293 south of Cartersville, and was called Birmingham by the Englishmen who came through this section in 1832. Only one Englishman and his son remained to see this hamlet grow, David Lewis, who fought in the War of 1812 and is buried in the old Friendship Cemetery, and one of his sons, Nathaniel Derry Lewis, born in 1818 in Hereford, England. He was only 14 years of age then and later he
returned to England to see the coronation of Queen Victoria. On his return to Birmingham, he established a blacksmithís shop, being a wheelwright by trade, and ran a stage route between Rome and “Marthasville“. He died in Sandersville, Mississippi. No signs of this community exist today.
Source: History of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass by Lucy Josephine CunyusReturn to Bartow History >