Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1876 by Reverend Jeff Milner. It was the center of community life for the surrounding Sugar Valley and Rogers communities. According to Bartow County deed records, the land for the church was formally purchased on October 1, 1945, for $1.00. The grantor’s father had given the land to the church for a place of worship when it was organized. In 2013, an affidavit was filed by Bennie Weems, a deacon of the church, stating that Pleasant Grove Church and Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church were one and the same. The church is located at 668 Burnt Hickory Road, Cartersville, GA 30120, plotted on this map of Bartow County Baptist churches: https://goo.gl/maps/9uTux1G4ZvQ2. There is no known cemetery associated with this church. More information about the church is available at https://www.facebook.com/pages/biz/city-cartersville-30120/Pleasant-Grove-Missionary-Baptist-Church-Cartersville-173095452873010/.
Affidavit from Bennie Weems, 16 April 2013 (filed 22 April 2013), Bartow County, Georgia, Deed Book 2609, page 373. County Recorder’s Office, Cartersville, Georgia.
Deed of Sale from W. H. Lumpkin to Ben Canty, Jule Canty, and Robert Canty as Trustees of Pleasant Grove Church, 1 October 1945 (filed 16 October 1946), Bartow County, Georgia, Deed Book 86, page 197. County Recorder’s Office, Cartersville, Georgia.
Written and researched by Amy Young, Kennesaw State University Intern, Fall 2018