Long before the early settlers of this county staked claim to this community, the Cherokee Indians had already named the area Pine Log. It is not known when the Cherokees settled the area known as Pine Log Town, but it was prior to 1785. We know this community was in existence by that date because “Chesecotetonia” or the Yellow Bird of Pine Log signed the 1785 Treaty of Hopewell on behalf of the town. This treaty between the United States and the Cherokees outlined western boundaries for white settlement while also defining boundaries for the Cherokees, along with special provisions involving trade and conduct. One of the signers of that treaty for the United States was Senator Benjamin Hawkins of North Carolina. During his travels through this area in 1796 as the newly appointed agent for Indian Affairs, he noted the Cherokee name for Pine Log Town as “Notetsenschansie”. From this spelling, those more familiar with the Cherokee language derived a different pronunciation interpreted as “pine footlog place”. The location of this former Cherokee community is on GA Highway 140, three miles east of U. S. Highway 411. Bartow County now owns much of this historic site.
With the creation of Cass County (now Bartow) in 1832, and following the early land lotteries, settlers found their way to the northeast section of the county and established the community of Pine Log, adopting the Cherokee name. The new location established was 4 miles west of Pine Log Town. Though the community never incorporated as a town, it previously had many of the characteristics of a town with a school, post office, businesses and churches. Prior to the Civil War, it was considered the largest community in the county, but over time the population declined. Today Pine Log is primarily residential with agriculture being its largest industry. The most noted landmark is the Pine Log Methodist Church, cemetery and campgrounds established in 1834, considered the oldest Church in continuous use in Bartow County. Another landmark, now abandoned at the corner of Calico Valley Road and Pine Log Road, is the old Bradford store which for many years contained the post office. Pine Log lost its post office in 1979 after 146 years.
In 1906 the L & N Railroad between Cartersville and Knoxville was completed. The depot for the Pine Log community was given the name Rydal and located a mile south of what would be considered the center of Pine Log. By 1908, the Rydal station was granted a post office. The station is long gone, but the Rydal post office is still in operation today and serves the Pine Log Community. For additional information, refer to the history of “Rydal”.
Source: Pine Log Historical Society, Inc. Archives and Library; Pine Log Creek, Pine Log Mountain, and the Former Cherokee Town of Pine Log in Bartow County by Dr. John H. Goff, Vol. 39, September 2001, Etowah Valley Historical Society Newsletter; History of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass by Lucy Josephine Cunyus;Treaty of Hopewell – Wikipedia.Return to Bartow History >