Woolley’s was first known as a stagecoach stop on the route from Cassville to Rome at the plantation home of Andrew Feaster Woolley. Andrew (1801-1865) moved from Fairfield District, South Carolina to Cass county, now Bartow, in 1836, acquiring numerous tracts of land along the Etowah River. After completion of the Rome Railroad in December 1849, which crossed the Woolley plantation, a railroad flag station was created at Woolley’s. Originally chartered as the Memphis Branch Railroad and Steamboat Company, it connecting steamboat traffic on the Coosa River in Rome with the Western & Atlantic Railroad at Kingston. Woolley’s was also known for a covered bridge spanning the Etowah River, which in 1864 Union forces found intact, aiding their crossing. This site is located along the old Rome Road approximately 2-3 miles west of Kingston. Service on the Rome Railroad was discontinued in 1843 with the tracks removed. Both the Woolley home and covered bridge no longer exist, however bridge piers remain visible in the Etowah River.
Source: History of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass by Lucy Josephine Cunyus; The Historical Markers of North Georgia by Kenneth W. Boyd.Return to Bartow History >