RogerS’ Station was named after Robert L. Rogers, owner of a six hundred acre farm at the intersection of modern day Iron Belt Road and the old Western & Atlantic Railroad (now CSX). In addition to his farming activities, Rogers operated a set of lime kilns, had a railroad wood and water station, a water powered cotton gin, corn mill and saw mill, two steam engines and maintained his neighborhood church. Nancy’s Creek supplied the water to operate his mills. It is unknown when Rogers came to this county, however we do know the name Roger’s Station was associated with The Great Locomotive Chase on April 12, 1862.
In 1872, Rogers, along with former Governor Joseph E. Brown and Martin H. Dooly, built an iron furnace on his property to process large amounts of iron ore found laying in his fields. Mining of iron ore continued after the furnace closed down in 1877. In 1883, a railroad was built from Roger’s Station to the Guyton Ore Bank some 4 to 5 miles northeast. The track was later extended approximately approximately 14 miles further northeast to both Aubrey and Sugar Hill in the Pine Log Mountains. This enterprise was built by Gov. Brown’s Dade Coal Company and other interested investors and was thought to be the longest privately owned railroad at the time. In 1897, the Iron Belt Railroad Mining Company was incorporated, composed of John W. Akin, L. S. Munford, S. P. Jones and T .W. Baxter. Iron Belt Road took its name from the old trackbed, long since removed. The post office at Rogers was named Ferrobutte and operated from 1900 to 1915. For additional information, refer to the history of “Ferrobutte”.
Source: History of Bartow County, Georgia, formerly Cass by Lucy Cunyus; Cartersville Express, May 28, 1878.Return to Bartow History >