The name Linwood was used in the renaming of the Hall’s Mill post office in 1892. The community surrounding the post office had been known as Hall’s until around 1883 and Hall’s Mill prior to 1892. The community generally adopted the name Linwood even though an 1899 map showed both Linwood and Hall’s. Linwood is located along Hall’s Station Road five miles north of Kingston at a point where The Western & Atlantic railroad (now CSX) intersects current CCC Road and Barnsley Gardens Road (formerly the road to Woodlands). The discovery of bauxite on the Barnsley Estate, some three miles west, around 1891 set in motion mining activities which led to the name change. Where the name of Linwood originated and who actually named it will remain a mystery. The name Linwood is used quite frequently across the south and is generally another name for basswood. The small village of Linwood grew substantially around increased mining operations following the arrival of The American Cyanamid Company around 1907. Located along the railroad, Linwood served as the receiving and transfer point for mining activities.
The earlier Hall’s community grew up around the Mt. Carmel Church which had its roots prior to the Cherokee removal. Construction of the church building began in 1860, and was completed several years afterwards. It still remains intact and active today. Behind the church was once located the Linwood school for grades 1 through 7. Most likely built after the arrival of Cyanamid, classes continued to the late 1930’s until consolidation of Bartow County schools. Linwood also included a depot and general store. The post office closed in 1936 along with all mining activities. The name Linwood has since faded away and is now only a memory in the minds of but a few. The preferred name of Hall’s Station or Hall’s is spoken today and maps since 1955 prominently display those names. For additional information, refer to the history of “Hall’s Station”.
Source: Recollections of Michael Garland; Recollections of the late Louise Ward; United States and Worldwide Postal History by Jim Forte; Bartow County Georgia, Heritage Book, Vol. II, Compiled by Bartow County Genealogical Society, pages 47, 48, 54 & 55; University of Georgia Galileo Map Collection.[maxbutton id=”10″]