Ladd’s was a shipping station on the Seaboard Air Line Railway north of the current intersection of GA Highway 113 / 61 and Euharlee Road. The station was named after Alonzo Ladd, who bought the Peck Lime Works outside of Cartersville in the early 1870’s. Ladd’s Mountain was also named for him and was the sight of all mining activities. His company, A. C. Ladd Lime Company, manufactured and traded lime, cement and plaster. An article in the Cartersville American newspaper on August 15, 1884, states that “there is no lime in the south so highly prized as the famous alabaster line manufactured by A. C. Ladd”. Alonzo Ladd had been a resident of Atlanta, however he died in 1893 in the western part of the country where he had gone for health reasons. The quarry at Ladd’s Mountain continued operating under several successors for over 50 years following Ladd’s death. The shipping station no longer exists.
Source: History of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass by Lucy Josephine Cunyus.Return to Bartow History >