Iron Hill was a community of workers and their families which owed its existence to the iron industry. Iron Hill dates back to 1844 when pioneer ironmaster, Jacob Stroup built the Allatoona Iron Furnace on Allatoona Creek. Bethany Bridge, at the entrance to Red Top Mountain State Park, marks the location of this former pre-Civil War furnace. Following Stroups death in 1846, a succession of owners both mined and operated the furnace. They included Samuel M. Earle in 1848, Tarlton F. Moore & William Thomas in 1853, Tarlton F. Moore in 1856 and Tarlton F. Moore and Daniel R. Thomas in 1862. The iron ore was taken from the Crow Ore Bank named after Jonathan Crow, former owner of the area mined. This furnace continued operation until it was destroyed by Union troops during the Civil War.
Iron mining resumed in the late 1800’s with W. H. Renfroe & Sons operating the mines. A wide gauge spur rail line was built to connect with the Western & Atlantic Railroad at Allatoona Station. This spur extended back into the railroad cut at Iron Hill where the iron ore was loaded directly into cars. By 1900, the Etowah Iron Company had taken over the iron mines at Iron Hill. By this time, Iron Hill had become a thriving community with several houses, and a Baptist Church. Mining continued until production ceased in 1923. Iron Hill remained an active community for many years but over time residents moved away to seek employment elsewhere. With the completion of Allatoona Lake in 1950, Red Top Mountain State Park was established and included the Iron Hill area. Iron Hill is located on the east side of Red Top Mountain Road inside the Park boundaries with most mining occurring on the southern end.
Source: Iron Hill by Roy Queen, Etowah Valley Historical Society Newsletter, Vol. 37, May 2001[maxbutton id=”10″]