Hall’s Station was originally a wood stop located approximately five and a half miles north of Kingston on the Adairsville-Kingston Road (now Hall’s Station Road). The station was named for L. H. Hall, an area farmer supplying fuel for the old steam locomotives. His service to the railroad may have begun as early as 1846-1847 as the railroad had been completed between Adairsville and Atlanta during that time period. This is the story related to this writer many years ago by a lifelong resident. Unfortunately, little is known about L. H. Hall and his business activities.
People through the years have identified the community a half mile south and five miles north of Kingston as Hall’s Station. This second location is an area where the Adairsville-Kingston Road (Now Hall’s Station Road) intersected with present day CCC road and the road to Woodlands (now Barnsley Gardens Road). A community grew at this point which would ultimately include a post office, depot, general store, church and school. Between 1868 and 1892, the Hall’s Mill post office served the needs of this community before it was renamed the Linwood post office. Linwood was also adopted as the new name for the former Hall’s Station or Hall’s community.
The community itself grew up around the Mt. Carmel Church which had its roots prior to the Cherokee removal. Construction of the current church building began in 1860, and was completed several years afterwards. It still remains today. The discovery of bauxite on the Barnsley Estate some three miles west, set in motion mining activities around 1891 which led to the name change. The post office closed in 1936 along with all mining activities. The name Linwood has since faded away. The preferred name of Hall’s Station or Hall’s is commonly spoken today and maps since 1955 have prominently displayed those names. Maps up until 1883 referred to this community as Hall’s, however reference to Hall’s Mill is found on maps of 1883 and 1885. Both Hall’s and Linwood are displayed on one map dated 1899. For additional information, refer to the history of “Linwood”.
Source: Recollections of the late Louise Ward; United States and Worldwide Postal History by Jim Forte; Bartow County Georgia, Heritage Book, Vol. II, Compiled by Bartow County Genealogical Society, pages 47, 48, 54 & 55; University of Georgia Galileo map Collection.Return to Bartow History >