New Hope Baptist Church is located at 235 Henry Mack Hill Road NW, Cartersville, GA 30120, which can be viewed on this Bartow Baptist Churches map at https://goo.gl/maps/9uTux1G4ZvQ2.
History of New Hope at Rydal
New Hope Baptist Church was originally called the Colored Baptist Church at New Hope. Even though records have been lost and destroyed, ‘word of mouth’ gives us an organizational time of 1878.
Records do show that in 1882, the first structure was built. In 1895, organizers and worshippers of New Hope Baptist Church purchased the land of the present site for the sum of $250. Word of mouth also recalls that the church was destroyed by a tornado and a fire.
Our oldest member (at the time), late Mother Elizabeth Barrett, remembered the ” Brush Harbor” that was used for worship service while the church was being rebuilt after a fire. In 1977, the Board of Education of Bartow County sold the school property to New Hope Baptist Church for the sum of $1.00. The school is referenced in the Deed Book as Pine Log School (colored).
Further information can be found in a Quit Claim Deed filed in book 314, page 331. Additional documentation is also on file at the church in a land sale record noted in 1895.
Pine Log School for Colored at Rydal, GA 30171
Pine Log School for Colored was moved from Fairview Methodist Church in Rydal to the Masonic Hall at adjoining property at New Hope Baptist in Rydal. Teachers at the school were Mrs. Johnson and Mrs. Morgan who taught grades 1 – 7.
In 1977, The Board of Education of Bartow County, GA Quit-Claim Deeded the property to New Hope Baptist Church for the sum of $1.00. A two-room building was still standing at the time of transfer.
A brick memorial marks the spot where the school was. As of 2021, there are three or more of New Hope Baptist surviving members attended that school.
Interview and documents provided by Rev. Earnest Bush 1/3/22, Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book. Vol. 1 and 2. Cartersville: Bartow County Genealogical Society, 1998. 47-48, KSU Intern field visit to site, Bartow County Deeds Office.