Church Street School
Opened Jan. 5, 1885 under Mrs. Harris and Miss Carpenter. Miss Carpenter and Mrs. Harris ran Miss Carpenter’s School out of the former Methodist Church, detailed in an article from 1884. Teachers at Church Street School were Mrs. Baker, a teacher of Elocution and French, as well as, Miss Sofge, a teacher of Vocal and Instrumental Music. An advertisement for this school claims that “Calisthenics, and all branches of the Art Department are taught in this school.” CARTERSVILLE AMERICAN 10/27/1885.