In 1840, a two story brick boarding school with an auditorium was erected by Colonel Simpson Fouche on the present Rowland Springs Road, which was used also as a residence. Here Col. Fouche taught the Lewis, Rowland and Howard sons. This pre-Civil War home was known as “Birdwood” and was totally destroyed by fire in 1949. See also Oakland Institute under “Communities” for additional information. Source: Etowah Valley Historical Society.