On November 27, 1909, a group of people met in the auditorium of Atco School with the intention of organizing a Baptist Church. The thirteen people at the meeting became charter members of the First Baptist Church of Atco, GA. Shortly thereafter the name was changed to Atco Baptist Church. The American Textile Company paid for and built the first building that was used by the church, located at the church’s location at 20 Parmenter Street, Cartersville, GA 30120, viewable on this map of Bartow Baptist Churches: https://goo.gl/maps/9uTux1G4ZvQ2. The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company later came in and bought the building; however, they continued to maintain the space for the use of the church and the Methodist church that also held their church services at this location. It was not until July 4, 1954, that Atco Baptist Church purchased the building and started adding additions to the building.
In 1973, additional educational spaces were added. In the 1990s, an all-purpose building and fellowship hall were constructed in addition to a new sanctuary. There is no known cemetery associated with the church. Today, the church is a member of the Bartow Baptist Association. They currently hold services at 9:30 am, 10:50 am, and 6:30 pm on Sunday and on Wednesday night. More information about Atco Baptist Church is available at http://www.atcobaptist.com/home.
Article entitled “A Brief History of Atco Baptist Church,” located at the Bartow History Museum Archives.
“Atco Baptist Church to Build New Fellowship and Recreation Area.” The Herald-Tribune (Cartersville), 1993.
“Service Times.” Atco Baptist Church. Accessed August 15, 2018. http://www.atcobaptist.com/about-us.
Written and researched by Amy Young, Kennesaw State University Intern, Fall 2018.