Annianna Classical Institute (School)
John H. Fitten opened a private boarding school for boys in 1866 at his home one mile north of Adairsville. A few day students, including girls, were known to have attended also. The school remained open until 1881. The house was originally built by Charles Hamilton around 1850 as a replica to the home of Mexican General Antonio Dopez de Santa Anna. Hamilton had been captured during the Mexican War and held as a prisoner in the General’s home. Fitten bought the property following Hamilton’s death. He converted the upper floor for teaching. A stage was built in the center of the floor. The boarding students had their sleeping quarters in the large bedroom on the main floor. Source: Etowah Valley Historical Society, Newsletter.