Rev. Sam P. Jones first proposed a plan for a female college in Cartersville in 1886. The cornerstone was laid in 1887. Reverend Jones personally raised $8000.00 to build the college. It was located near the present-day Bartow County Main Street library facing Cherokee Avenue (old Market Street). The City of Cartersville began to express a stronger interest in establishing public education for the community and considered options to purchase the school. The college eventually was sold to the city of Cartersville in 1890, becoming the city high school until 1953. Cartersville Public Schools Centennial 100 Year History. CARTERSVILLE COURANT 1886.