Lindsey Hendricks came to Cass County, now Bartow, following the 1838 removal of the Cherokee Indians. Sometime afterwards he established a community school on his farm. During May, 1864, the school was occupied temporarily by Union soldiers as a field hospital. These same Union soldiers burned the school when it ceased being useful. Following the War, the Dewey Baptist Church built on the site of the former school at Old Spring Place Road and Spring Place Road.
Source: Hendricks Family descendent Shirley Perry.