Wyvern is a railroad yard located on the old L & N Railroad (now CSX) north of Cartersville. L & N completed the line in 1906. This site is first shown on the 1915 Hudgins’ Map of Georgia and continues to be in operation today. By definition, a railroad yard is an area having a network of railway tracks and sidings for storage and maintenance of cars and engines. Who named Wyvern and why may never be known. The definition of the word means a mythical dragon or serpent. The physical location of Wyvern is north of the Industrial Park Road near its intersection with U.S. Highway 411 north.
Source: Bartow County resident Guy Parmenter