McCallie was the name given to a point on the L & N Railroad (now CSX) where it intersected with tracks of the Iron Belt Railroad extending to the mining operations at nearby Aubrey and Sugar Hill. According to the History of White, Georgia, “so great was the output in the 1919’s and 1920’s, that a “dinkie” engine (a small version of the steam locomotive) was used to move cars of ore from the “washer” at Aubrey”. This point on the railroad was named for Samuel W. McCallie, assistant Georgia State geologist 1893-1908 and Georgia State geologist 1908-1933. For more information about the Iron Belt Railroad, refer to the history of “Rogers Station”, “Aubrey” and “Sugar Hill”.
Source: The History of White, Georgia by White Historical Committee.