Junta is the name given to the railroad yard about one mile north of the old Cartersville depot. By definition, a railroad yard is an area having a network of railway tracks and sidings for storage and maintenance of cars and engines. The Atlanta, Knoxville and Northern Railway Company (A, K & N) announced to the public in July, 1904 their intention to build a new rail line between Cartersville, Georgia and Knoxville, Tennessee. They could then connect to the existing Western & Atlantic line at Cartersville, extending their service to Atlanta and all points beyond. In preparation for this project , acreage was purchased from a point where the existing Western & Atlantic Railroad and Seaboard Airline Railroad intersected in Cartersville to a point approximately one and a quarter miles north. Some 300 acres were purchased from Harold E. Felton and J. J. Bentley plus two town lots, one each from Lizzie E. Todd and John W. Akin. Much of this property was designated as the new railroad yard for the three converging lines. Prior to completion of the new route, the A, K & N Railway sold its property in Georgia along with all trackage rights to the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company on February 11, 1905. On March 1, 1906, The Cartersville News reported that the first train ran from Cartersville to Knoxville. Junta first appears on the Hudgins’ map of Georgia in 1915. As for the name Junta, who named it and exactly when is unknown. The word Junta is generally defined as a coalition or group that takes control when a government is overthrown.
“The Oxford Spanish-English Dictionary ascribes the Spanish word “junta” similar meanings to the English words “joint” and “meeting.”
Source: Western & Atlantic Railroad of the State of Georgia, compiled by James Houstoun Johnston, page 167; The Cartersville News, October 27, 1904 and March 1, 1906; The News and Courant (Cartersville), July 7, 1904 and July 28, 1904.