Dewey was both an agricultural community and a post office which operated between 1898
and 1904. The community centers around the Dewey Baptist Church and the Hendricks family
cemetery located at Old Spring Place Road and Spring Place Road.
The history of the Dewey community begins with Lindsay Hendricks, who established a farm
after the Cherokee Removal in 1838. At some point he erected a school on his property which
was destroyed by Union troops during May, 1864. Mr. Hendricks, a civilian, was apparently
taken by Union troops along with many other male neighbors and sent north. The book, History
of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass, states he died in a Federal prison at Chattanooga in
November, 1864. The school on the Hendricks’ property was used as a temporary field hospital
and afterwards burned.
Following the War, the Dewey Baptist Church was built on the same site as the old school.
The Hendricks family farm has been passed down through the generations and remains in the
family. The old Hendricks’ home place is long gone, however the old family cemetery is well
maintained behind the church which adjoins the newer Dewey Baptist Church cemetery. The
earliest burial dates back to 1879.
Source: Hendricks family descendant Shirley Perry; Recollections of Bartow County residents,
Michael Garland and Victor Mullinix; “History of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass” by
Lucy Josephine Cunyus. DEWEY (DEWEY CROSSROADS)
Dewey was both an agricultural community and a post office which operated between 1898
and 1904. The community centers around the Dewey Baptist Church and the Hendricks family
cemetery located at Old Spring Place Road and Spring Place Road.
The history of the Dewey community begins with Lindsay Hendricks, who established a farm
after the Cherokee Removal in 1838. At some point he erected a school on his property which
was destroyed by Union troops during May, 1864. Mr. Hendricks, a civilian, was apparently
taken by Union troops along with many other male neighbors and sent north. The book, History
of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass, states he died in a Federal prison at Chattanooga in
November, 1864. The school on the Hendricks’ property was used as a temporary field hospital
and afterwards burned.
Following the War, the Dewey Baptist Church was built on the same site as the old school.
The Hendricks family farm has been passed down through the generations and remains in the
family. The old Hendricks’ home place is long gone, however the old family cemetery is well
maintained behind the church which adjoins the newer Dewey Baptist Church cemetery. The
earliest burial dates back to 1879.


Source: Hendricks family descendant Shirley Perry; Recollections of Bartow County residents,
Michael Garland and Victor Mullinix; “History of Bartow County, Georgia, Formerly Cass” by
Lucy Josephine Cunyus.

[maxbutton id=”10″]

Leave a Reply