Clifford was a wood and water stop along the Western & Atlantic railroad (now CSX) about three miles north of Kingston. Service to the railroad may have begun as early as 1846 or 1847 as construction of the railroad was completed through this area. The demand for wood came to an end during the 1870’s and 1880’s as engines were converted from wood to more efficient coal. Only remnants of a rock wall remain today on the west side of the tracks bordering Old Hall’s Station Road about 300 yards south of Griffin Road.
Source: Bartow County residents Victor Mullinix and Ronald Casey.