Aylmer was the name given a post office established in the home of Thomas J. and Lula Tumlin Lyon between May 22, 1894 and November 29, 1902. Lula served as Postmaster and was a daughter of Col. Lewis Tumlin, a prominent early settler and first sheriff of Cass county (now Bartow). Both Thomas and Lulu died in 1913. Located at the northern end of Hardin’s Bridge, the home was built by Charles William Gilliam who at one time had operated a school there. Prior to Gilliam, this homesite was once owned by the Indian Chief, Chulio, also known as Shoe Boot. As of 2012, Tony Martin owns this home, however the previous owner, Jo Ross, named the home “Windrise”.

Source: Bartow County residents, Victor Mullinix and Genie Jolly Certain; United States and Worldwide Postal Service by Jim Forte.


Source: Bartow County residents, Victor Mullinix and Genie Jolly Certain; United States and Worldwide Postal Service by Jim Forte.

[maxbutton id=”10″]

Leave a Reply