The American Textile Company of Greenfield, Ohio constructed a textile mill and village in 1904 north of Cartersville. In order to educate the children of the village employees, a school was soon built to accommodate grades 1 through 7 (later 8th grade). The school was operated by American Textile and later Goodyear in 1929 through cooperation with Bartow County. Both companies subsidized funds received from the State of Georgia to provide teacher salaries. ATCO was annexed into the City of Cartersville on December 2, 1957. The ATCO School was closed in 1963.
Source: Etowah Valley Historical Society, July 1992 Newsletter.