Etowah Valley Historical Society
The Etowah Valley Historical Society, Inc. was founded in 1972 by concerned owners of historical properties in Bartow County. From a membership of twenty-four, primarily interested in preserving the Etowah River Valley region of this county, the society has evolved into an organization of over 600 people dedicated to the promotion of historic education and preservation throughout Bartow County.
Today the Etowah Valley Historical Society (EVHS) celebrates the heritage of our unique area – ancient history and Civil War battlefields, coexisting with Victorian architecture, nestled in the richness of Georgia’s mountains and streams. Our major objective is to promote and enhance the education, awareness and preservation of the heritage and traditions of Bartow County.
We are located in the 1903 Gold Domed Courthouse in the center of Cartersville. Please contact us for hours at (770) 606-8862.
Since its beginning in 1972, the Etowah Valley Historical Society has been a leader in promoting historical awareness and preservation in Bartow County.
In 1975, The Etowah Valley Historic District was placed on the National Register, followed by the Grand Theatre in 1985. In 1992 the Heritage Sign Program was established.
Restoration has been an important part of EVHS activities since 1976 with the Euharlee Militia Courthouse. EVHS was involved with the Vaughn Cabin Project in 1993. In 1995 work began on the restoration of Allatoona Pass Battlefield. In 2002 the restoration of the Friendship Cemetery was started.
Books published by EVHS:
- Historic Bartow County, Circa 1826-1866, was published by EVHS in 1982.
- Bartow, County, Georgia, Formerly Cass Cemeteries was published in 1993.
- A History of Old Cassville in 1994.
- Allatoona Pass, A Needless Effusion of Blood was published in 1995.
- In And Out of the Lines was re-published in 1997.
The first EVHS Tour of Homes was held in 1983, followed by tours in 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009. The next tour will be in November 2012.
A county-wide inventory of historic sites was highlighted in 2006 with the presentation of the inventory to the Bartow County Commissioner.
EVHS has hosted state-wide conferences and meetings since 1990 when the Georgia Trust Ramble was held here. The Georgia Civil War Commission was hosted in 1994 and the Georgia Trust Ramble returned in 2000.
In 2001, EVHS placed a major part in the first Hills of Iron celebration which has become an annual event at Red Top Mountain State Park.
The Gold-Domed Bartow County Courthouse was 100 years old in 2003 and EVHS led the celebration.
EVHS has been involved with Allatoona Pass Civil War Battlefield since 1993, having transformed what once was an overgrown wilderness area into a visitor friendly park which hosts thousands of visitors each year. Today, EVHS serves in an advisory role to Red Top Mountain State Park, having passed responsibility for this battlefield to the State of Georgia in 2007. The Society’s goal is to have one monument for each state represented in the battle. Only three monuments remain to be erected, Louisiana, Ohio and Wisconsin, which we plan to have in place by the 150th Civil War Anniversary in 2014.
In 2011, EVHS partnered with the Kingston Woman’s History Club, the City of Kingston and the Graves and Pecchio families to “Celebrate the History of Kingston Georgia”. Patrons enjoyed dinner catered from The Governors’ House and toured the Graves House, Desoto Hotel, Station Master’s House, Railroad Y and the Kingston Museum.
In 2011, EVHS partnered with the Cartersville Bartow County Chamber of Commerce – Leadership Bartow Internship Program and was fortunate to work with Tom Etheridge as our intern. Tom’s accomplishments include establishing our Face book page and our new Website. After his internship was completed, we were fortunate to retain Tom as an advisor to the EVHS board.
In 2012, EVHS recognized the 150th Anniversary of The Great Locomotive Chase. EVHS partnered with several local organizations to recognize “The Heart of the Chase” which happened in Bartow County. The Anniversary included dedicating a Kingston monument to Uriah Stephens, “Kingston’s Forgotten Son”, who played an important role in the Chase.
In the fall of 2013, EVHS launched the Bartow History Scholar Program (BHS) designed to teach county history to our youth. The program is a partnership between EVHS and all middle schools in the county. The program involves an on-line curriculum, digital maps and Quiz Bowl.